Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Do You Play Croquet?

Recently, I did more work for the King James Bible documentary, and this time, my duties included props and set dressing for the pickup shots that we had to do. We were able to borrow and buy most things, but we did need a croquet set that looked like it could have been played with in the 16th century. Well, I bought this one at Wal-Mart: 
 And made it into this one:
I was very happy with how it turned out! All I did was sand parts of the mallets, especially the bight colors, so it looked more dull and used. Then I put a coat of a darker wood stain on them. Calvin and I banged and scratched them on the concrete to also look more used. For the balls, I bought brown paper machete balls from Michael's and just used Mod Podge over tissue paper to put a stripe on them. A layer of Mod Podge over the whole ball made it look more wooden.

So there you go! An antiqued croquet set fit for decoration in your rec room.

1 comment:

Taylor and Dean said...

nice work! Croquet makes me think of the cartoon Robin Hood, even though I'm pretty sure they play badminton, not croquet. This post reminds me, we have a croquet set and we need to bust it out!