Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lose an organ, Gain a car

Well, this week has been exciting! We started it out by buying a car! Eeks! Our Kia barely made it up here and we took it to a mechanic who said the required fixes were going to be well over $1000. We had already put over $2000 of work into it in the past 6 months in order for it to make the drive up to Washington, so we decided that it would make more financial sense to be putting that money into a car that is in good shape.

Finding a car was so stressful to me. We wanted to buy used, but everything we looked at was not priced very much less than a new vehicle or when it was priced much less, and you could tell that it's going to fall apart quickly. We didn't really know what we were gonna do, and thought about doing a round of leasing to postpone the real commitment. Then, on Monday night, we went to test drive this little beauty, a used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring. It was already on a special that was $4,000 off the asking price because it hadn't sold yet, and they were going to take it to auction soon. Tyler and I (though pretty passive hagglers) were able to talk them a little lower and got them to waive a bunch of fees. So, we really felt like we got a great deal (or were at least not suckered into a worse one). And I think Dan, who sold it to us, was pretty happy with the arrangement as well.

And it looks beautiful. Seriously, it looks brand new, has really low miles, but had a used price! Perfect. It also came with a bunch of upgrades as opposed to the base model- better wheels, seat warmers, etc. I was quite an adventure going to dealerships with Calvin in tow, but it all worked out. I am pretty excited about it.

Next, Calvin and I went to the KidsQuest Chldren's Musuem. It was a little too old for him, but we did find a few fun things to play with.

At the children's museum, Calvin's favorite things to do was to play with the blocks and go down the slide. You can see a couple videos at the bottom of this post that show him going down the slide. It's was cute.
After the children's museum, we went to Jamba Juice for a little treat. Don't you just love the baby-size cup that they gave him? Too darn cute.
So, new car. Now for the losing of the organ. Ever since Calvin was born, I'd have this bizarre abdominal pain on occasion. I went to the ER the first time it happened, but they just sent me home and said that I wasn't dying. It continued to happen about once a month and then the frequency and duration of each attack began to increase as we got to 2010. I tried to change my diet, but that the attacks would still come and keep my up the entire night. Anyway, I went to see a couple of doctors, got some ultrasounds done, and they said that my gallbladder was infected and would need to be taken out. I believe that I held off as long as I could to have the surgery.
So, finally I had surgery yesterday. It was weird, I checked in to the hospital, they took the gallbladder out, and then I went home. It was like a weird dream, only I have 4 incision marks on my belly that remind me that it really happened. The whole thing was reminding me of LOST (most everything does). Anyway, I am doing very well recovering. Tyler is able to watch Calvin all weekend so I can rest. So, I am resting in bed with my netbook. :) I can't pick Calvin up for a while, so this next week should be interesting. I am in a bit of pain, but I was telling Tyler that it's nothing compared to getting over having a baby. And really, the pain I am feeling now is much better than a gallbladder attack, too. So, it works out.
I am glad that I decided to do it now because the doctor did say that he did find some stones and were able to take all of those out as well. If I had waited much longer, I may have developed pancreatitis. No, thank you. So, no pictures for this section, but I am sure you can google it if you're wondering was a laparoscopic cholecystectomy looks like.

So this weekend, we took it easier than normal and just drove to Alki Beach to walk around for a little bit and have some ice cream. I may be a little overhasty in my recovery, but the doctor said to walk as much as I can tolerate to assist in healing and so I don't get blood clots in my legs. We walked slowly along the beach, and I crashed in bed when we got home.
There was a classic car show going on on the beach. There were some really neat old cars.


Cool flower house we saw- reminded me of Japan.


On the way home, we stopped by the Freemont Troll who lives under Aurora bridge. Look, he has a real VW bug in his hand!


Tyler reading Calvin books at bedtime.





6 comments:

Michelle said...

Soooo glad to hear everything went well! I am battling my own recovery here, fairly certain it will be pretty slow going. I love the pics and videos :)

Kate said...

CONGRATULATIONS! (On both counts, really.) I'm glad you decided not to wait until getting back to Utah. No fun to have that kind of pain.

And what was the other really important thing I need to tell you? Oh yeah. We miss you.

Taylor and Dean said...

yikes! Danniey I'm sorry you had to have surgery, but I'm glad that you seem to be recovering well. Washington looks so beautiful in all of your pics-is it really as sunny and fabulous as it seems?! I'm so impressed you guys do so many fun activities! It makes me want to go have some fun adventures as well! :)

shandy said...

blogging on vicodin. that makes me laugh. i'm sorry about the gall bladder, excited about the car, and adore the hair cut. so glad you didn't die at stadium of fire...that about it.

Leah Florence said...

Gallbladder surgery! I am glad they figured out what was wrong and you are okay now! Calvin is just so cute. i love the video of him happily going down the slide. It looks like you guys are having a great Summer.

Mays and Matt said...

Woah. Gallbladder attacks are NOT fun. I'm glad it all worked out. I love the pics of your new car. Congratulations. That's a ton of fun. We're looking forward to seeing you guys soon. I'll need the tips on recovering from delivery. . . I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty nervous. Take care up there!